Monday, September 22, 2014

The “How To Drive Right Wing Racists Insane With One Simple Question” experiment 2 results.


You can tell where I'm going at with this. ;)


Background: This experiment was inspired by an article in which the writer (Justin Rosario) posted in a political Facebook page the question:

“A question for anyone that claims to be a proud white person: What, exactly, are you proud of? I’ve asked this a few times and can’t seem to get a straight answer. Please don’t tell/ask me about black pride as it is not relevant to the question. I want to know why YOU are proud to be white. If the only way you can explain it is by comparing it to another ethnicity’s pride, you are not answering the question. Stay on topic and explain what it is about being white that fills you with pride.”


Results from experiment 1: The responses ranged in 3 different categories.

1. Asking about white pride is not a legitimate question. 
  • "This was the most prevalent theme. They know that white pride is unavoidably racist whereas every other kind of “pride,” including black pride, can avoid being racist. Therefore they perceive the question as an attack on white people. It’s not. But that they see it that way tells me that they know exactly what white pride means." 
2. Attempts to rewrite or turn the question around (on me). 
  • "These were attempts to get me angry or pretend I was asking a completely different question." 
3. Attempts to conflate “heritage” with “skin color.” 
  • "These were soooooo ham-handed. Seriously, if the best you can do to explain white pride is say that your ancestors were white so you’re proud of that, you’re not even trying." 

I attempted to test those results with members of a local Facebook Chat Group.

Findings from experiment 2:

1. Asking about white pride is not a legitimate question.
  1. “They perceived the question to be an attack on white people.” Oh hell yes they did! I got called a “race baiter!” I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW THERE WAS SUCH A THING CALLED “RACE-BAITING.” Sounds like fun!
  2.  Examples: 
  • “Not to mention we invented the language you typed this race baiting post in” 
  • “Race Baiting!! good words chosen for that sentence.” 
  •  “see here we go.. not going to say anything else to you people.. lol” 
    • That’s where it got good. THIS IS STILL WITHIN THE FIRST 30 MINUTES! 
  • “It's fucking sad that there are racists; it's even more sad that you have people such as the op to perpetuate such things with fuck tard questions.” 
  • “You are race baiting. If I asked the same of blacks you and jesse Jackson would lose thier shit” 
    • I’m direct quoting from Facebook, please excuse the misspellings and poor grammar. ;) 

2. Attempts to rewrite or turn the question around (on me). 
  1. "These were attempts to get me angry or pretend I was asking a completely different question." This MOST DEFINITELY happened! I’d like to point out that at no point in this “experiment” did I claim to be proud of being colored, but the question was still brought on me. Perhaps they wanted an example on how to answer the question (that I totally answered, but only two people acknowledged it). :/ 
  2. Examples:
  • “Id like to hear why you are proud to be black/ Hispanic or oriental. I dont know what kind of response I was supposed to give” 
  • “Anyway that anyone answers this "question" it could be flipped either way!” 
  • ”If you would question why I posses such pride would also question why I have pride...so I ask you... why do you ask such things?” 
  • “What are you proud of???? SPECIFICALLY! !!
  • Mad indeed
  • “Mic wtf gives you the right to ask anyone anything. What are you proud of????” 
    • I had already answered my own question at this point.
    • My Answer: 
      • “You know how I would answer this question? I wouldn't. The theory of race is flawed. If you look at it through an anthropological perspective, the human species all originated in one continent (Africa), and throughout time, has traveled throughout the planet and settled in different places. We all have evolved to our environments. THAT'S what I'm proud of. So technically, if you think about it, we're all black. TAKE THAT, YOU WHITE SUPREMACIST BIGOTS!!!” 
    • In hindsight, I probably didn’t win any popularity contests with that last statement. :/
  • There were even cases where they answered a different question 
    • “White is just a color. A color is nothing to be proud of” 
    • “We should always be proud of who we are and where we come from” 
    • “The only thing any person should be proud of is being a good person no matter what race you are” 
3. Attempts to conflate “heritage” with “skin color.” 
  1. This was by far the most prevalent outcome of this experiment. The theory is that one cannot answer the question without sounding racist, so one turns to family history or heritage.
  2. Examples: 
  • “I'm proud of my white side because they came to America as immigrants to Ellis island and built this country survived the depression , 2 world wars and are hardworking people who have a dream and are not afraid to work hard to reach their goals .” 

    • Wait WHAT!? “THEY” built this country (USA)!?!? QUIT TAKING ALL THE DAMN CREDIT!!!
    • Yeah!  Stop that shit!
    • Yeah!  We built this country too, just didn't get any credit (apparently)...
  • “exactly what i said, proud of our heritage and what our ancestors accomplished! my family has roots going back to the founding of this country and i'm proud of that!” 
    • Classic avoiding of the question. 
    • I had made attempts to TRY to get an answer out of them: 
      • “But aside from what your family did, what is it about being white are you proud of?” 
      • “So.. The blacks, Mexicans, Asians, and Indians didn't build this country either? Also, what SPECIFICALLY about being white are you proud of?” (Also my response to example 1 of this sub-finding). 
  • “I am white...I know shocker, huh? Am I proud to be "white"? I am proud of my heritage which is a combination of 1/2 Irish, 1/4 German, and 1/4 Welsh. I'm told I have a smidgen of Ogallala Sioux as well. The fact that I am white is a matter of genetics and nothing more. “
    • I give up!  I... just... FUCK IT! I'M DONE! 

Final Results from Experiment 2: Ultimately, did one simple question drive right-wing racists insane? 
  1. Ultimately, no. They either stayed silent were one of the ones who didn’t completely answer the question.
  2. I did notice a good number of non-commenters who observed the responses of other, more open-to-sharing pro-white individuals and liked their comments. (We’re Facebook talking now). 
  • “Im proud to come from england. An island smaller than Arizona that jad one of the largest empires in history. It also has the worlds first and undefeated navy. Not to mention we invented the language you typed this race baiting post in” 
    • Notice how that didn't even answer the main question? 
    • That comment received 10 likes. 2nd most in that discussion, to this gem: 
      • “I am seriously just here to see these comments.” (15 likes) ;) 

But did you piss ANYBODY off? 
  1. “Mic. Go fuck yourself right in the ass you trollop. All you have done today is cause trouble. What are you proud of. What did you and your ancestors do. Aside from chatting bollocks on facebook. You keep bringing up whites, black, asian, Get a grip man.” 
  2. Yes I did, and it was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment